Below you will find the documents and information needed to:
- Apply for approval to award contact hours for an individual activity
- Apply for approval to become an approved provider of nursing continuing education
- Assist with the application process for both applications
Continuing Nursing Education Program Approval Guidelines
The Maryland Nurses Association (MNA) is accredited as an approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Commission on Accreditation (COA).
The ANCC COA accreditation signifies that educational activities approved by MNA meet national standards for quality continuing nursing education.
Continuing nursing education, according to ANCC, is an activity designed to "enrich the nurse's contributions to quality health care and pursuit of professional career goals". Continuing nursing education does NOT include activities intended to assist the participant to acquire, maintain, and/or increase the level of competence in fulfilling...assigned responsibilities SPECIFIC to the expectations of the employer.
Applying for Contact Hours for Continuing Nursing Education "Individual Activities" and applying for "Approved Provider Status"
Application submissions are now being reviewed following ANCC's Oct 2015 criteria and requirements
A few of the application documents have been revised as a result of the criteria changes of October 2015.
(To see what has changed see "Criteria Updates" below)
Application Review Fee : INDIVIDUAL ACTIVITY APPLICATION
The non-refundable fee to review an individual activity application is $100.00 plus $10.00 for each contact hour or part of a contact hour requested. The review fee must accompany the application.
LATE FEES - (For Individual Activity Applications-Non-Refundable)
$150 Late fee: Applied to applications received 5-7 weeks prior to presentation date
$300 Late fee: Applied to applications received 2-4 weeks prior to presentation date
$500 Late fee: Applied to applications received under 2 weeks prior to presentation date
(Under 2 week option is not available for new applicants. New applicants must allow for 3 or more weeks for application review)
Individual Activity applications received with less than 2 weeks until presentation date for review, must include review and late fee before review will begin. If received without full payment, review will be delayed and possibly declined for review
Late Individual Activity applications will be reviewed dependent upon the availability of reviewers and completeness of the application. The late fee must accompany the application. Same day or walk-in application review requests are not accepted.
Application Review Fee : APPROVED PROVIDER APPLICATION
The non-refundable approved provider application review fee is $1250.00. The review fee must accompany the application. Same day or walk-in application review requests are not accepted.
There are currently no late fees associated with Approved Provider application submissions
INDIVIDUAL ACTIVITY APPLICATIONS: (Approval period lasts for 2 years)
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATIONS (Individual Activities and Approved Provider):
APPROVED PROVIDER APPLICATIONS: (Approval period lasts for 3 years)
- Applications should arrive at the MNA office at least 8 weeks prior to the first presentation date in order to provide time for review.
- Submissions received less than 8 weeks prior to presentation date or expiration date are subject to a late fee or denial of review. Same day requests are not accepted.
- Please submit your payment, ONE paper copy and either a CD or USB containing ONE PDF of the entire application packet.
- Please allow 2 - 8 weeks for application review
- Applications should arrive at the MNA office at least 3 months prior to the expiration of your approval status or start of educational activites requiring contact hours in order to provide time for review.
- Although at this time, late fees are not applicable to approved provider applications should your approved provider application arrive at our office less than 3 months prior to the expiration of your approval status or start of continuing nursing educational activities requiring contact hours, you risk your approval status expiring before approval can be given. You may still provide continuing nursing educational activities, however, to award contact hours you will need to submit your individual activities to us for review and approval to award contact hours or you can offer the continuing nursing educational activities without contact hours
- Please submit your payment and TWO paper copies of your entire approved provider application packet
- Please allow 3 months for application review
Modification turn around time
ANCC is committed to the standards that ensure continual improvement to the process of awarding contact hours for educational activities. Their commission on accreditation continues to approve and revise criteria requirements. As a result, at MNA we will give applicants a maximum of 6 months, from the time the application is received at our office, to complete modifications requested for application approval. After 6 months your application will be considered cancelled and you will need to reapply, making sure to adhere to the standards that are in place at the time of you new application.
Application guidance is and has always been graciously offered to applicants. Please a moment to take advantage of the resources we have made available to you to make the application process easier. We appreciate the dedication of our applicants to provide nursing professional development, promote nursing excellence and quality patient outcomes and we want you to clearly understand the criteria and requirements for planning quality continuing nursing educational activities. We have provided information on this webpage and additionally we have a session every October at our annual convention that reviews application procedures and criteria updates. Although we do provide guidance on the standards for providing quality education, please do not rely on repeated requests for assistance to complete your application. Your application is a demonstration of your understanding of compliance with the current ANCC criteria and requirements for providing quality continuing nursing education. Once we have reviewed your application, we will provide further guidance to develop your documentation and activities for compliance with the standards set by ANCC.
The good news is the vast majority of applicants do not require any assistance. Here’s why:
- We offer links to ANCC manuals on this web page to assist applicants with preparing Individual Activity and Approved Provider applications.
- Included in the application documents are explanations to assist with completing the information requested.
- We provide templates, as a guide for our applicants, to help you provide the information ANCC requires to meet the criteria for providing continuing nursing education.
For additional application information. CLICK HERE FOR FAQs
Maryland Nurses Association
21 Governors Court, Suite 195
Baltimore, MD 21244
Reciprocity: All RN licensing boards nationwide acknowledge and accept contact hours from accredited
providers. The state licensing boards of California and Iowa have put some ‘caveats’ on their
acceptance. Both the California Board of Registered Nursing and the Iowa board say that if the
provider ENTERS their state and presents an activity, the provider must also apply to the that
state's board for approval, in order for the nurses from CA and IA to use the contact hours for
renewing their licenses. The CA Board of Registered Nursing considers internet learning and
other types of home study to be out-of-state, unless the provider is located in CA. They are in
Sacramento, and their number is 916-322-3350. The Iowa Board of Nursing considers internet
and other types of home study to be in-state. Their number is 515-281-3255
As the Chair of the Continuing Education Approver Committee, I am committed to serving our constituency of continuing education applicants and making the application and review procedure a user-friendly process. Thank you for your support of our program in the past and we hope to continue to assist in your continuing education needs in the future. Please let me know if we can assist you in any way or if you have any questions about the new guidelines.
PhD, CRNP, FAANP, FAAN
Chair, Continuing Education Approver Committee
Maryland Nurses Association
2015 CRITERIA UPDATES:
To view the 2015 Criteria updates for Individual Activity applications click here.
To view the 2015 Criteria updates for Approved Provider applications click here.
The 2015 manuals are available for purchase through ANA. For more infomation, click the following link:
2015 Primary Accreditation Manuals
APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Individual Activity Application
Application and Documents to apply for Contact Hours for Individual Activities
Also required, please make sure your application includes:
If your activity will have commercial support or be jointly-provided you will need to select the corresponding form(s) from the list of documents below to complete.
- A list of references for Presenter's Content
- A full program Brochure/Agenda/Schedule (session times included)
- Promotional/Advertising Materials (with appropriate required statement shown on marketing materials)
Although a Joint Provider Agreement would be prudent business practice, it is not a criteria requirement and does not need to be submitted with your application to obtain approval. The commercial support document (if applicable) does need to accompany your application packet.
APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Approved Provider Application
As an an Approved Provider awarding contact hours for continuing nursing education activities, please use the following documents to PLAN your activities.
Application and Documents to apply to become an Approved Provider or re-apply as an Approved Provider
Please complete the following documents to APPLY OR RE-APPLY to become an Approved Provider:
Note: As an approved provider you do not use an "application" to plan your activities you use a "planning template" to PLAN your activites:
We have made available, a training webinar and powerpoint to assist you with getting to know the Approved Provider application. Learn about the Approved Provider application, with an explanation of the details and narratives applicants are expected to provide when applying to become an Approved Provider.
Below you will find the previously recorded training webinar held for Approved Providers applicants in February 2013 and the webinar Powerpoint. The Webinar was moderated by the MNA Chairperson of the Continuing Education Approver Committee, Janice Agazio, PhD, CRNP, FAANP, FAAN
Please note since these materials were made, the 2015 criteria was announced In October of 2015. Although, they affect the amount of information applicants need to provide, these resources can still guide you in understanding the depth of what is required for approved provider applications. Please stay tuned for an update to these materials, to reflect the changes that have taken place in 2015, in the later part of 2016.
1. Webinar : Click the following link to view the Approved Provider Training Webinar held on February 22, 2013:
2013 Approved Provider Criteria Overview Webinar : This webinar is approximately 60 minutes
2. Powerpoint: Click the following link to access the Powerpoint prepared for the Approved Provider Training Webinar session held on February 22, 2013:
2013 Approved Provider Criteria Overview Powerpoint
Provider 6 month Reporting Documents Upon Approval as an Approved Provider, the following will need to be submitted every 6 months to the MNA office
Annual Report for Provider
Questions may be directed to Susan Prentice via email at email@example.com.
Please see the MNA Calendar for Association sponsored programs and activities.